Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cali Trip: Day 4



Ahhhh bacon.  That is the smell I (Robin) woke up to this morning.   I got up at the Boudreau's and Melanie was cooking bacon.  Carly, her daughter, was helping with breakfast by cooking the pancakes.  Before long everyone was in the kitchen and we enjoyed a nice morning with everyone together.  Chuck prayed for us this morning and he left for work and took Collin, their son, to school.  
We packed up, gave hugs and got on our way, but not before the kids jumped on the trampoline and got out some of that energy!  It was so wonderful again seeing them and I look forward to many more connections between the Walker's and Boudreau's in the future.  

So we drove north to Denver and then got on 70-West.  I can't believe how amazing this stretch of land is.  We took so many pictures.  The land is so beautiful!  At one point we were up over 8500 feet.  Perhaps more but that is the highest number we saw on a sign.  We kept driving by these adorable, old looking towns.  We loved how quaint and simple they looked amongst the vast beauty of the mountains.  One of those towns where people just hang on their porch but instead of seeing some streets or anything mundane they get to wake up to a tall gorgeous mountain every day.  Wow. Brian and I said that we almost, just almost stopped right there and moved in.  Haha. 




At lunch we stopped in Vail, CO.  Best choice ever!  It was such a cute town.  Nice and obviously a tourist kind of spot.  The first thing we saw when we pulled off the interstate was this sign:



Ack!!! Bears? All their trash cans were put in these huge metal brown boxes.  I guess I get why! Haha.

Just eating lunch beside a mountain, no big deal.  



My hubby and I having some local asian in Vail, CO!  It was so serene.  Ahhh.



 Brian and I snapped this quick picture before getting on the road:


Basically the rest of the day was just driving driving driving.  (Of course)  We got through Colorado and it was beautiful.  The kids loved going through the tunnels in the mountains.  They would raise their hands in the air when it was time to go through one.  Nathaniel kept yelling, "Mountains?!" and of course we would say, "Yes, buddy, mountains!"  We enjoyed the sights quite a bit as you can see: 




As if in a quick blink, we got into Utah. Interesting the change seemed to happen somewhat gradually but also it was sudden that you noticed quite a difference in how everything looked.  It was so beautiful as well.  We didn't really stop for dinner, just ate dinner in the car and kept on the road.  Next we got into Salt Lake City.  I think the show Sister Wives (about Mormon polygamists) is fascinating in such a weird way, so I told Brian we should stop and look for a spouse of some sort.  Brian said we didn't have room in the car.  (Which is true…)  HAHA. 







The other cool thing was when we were in Utah it started raining.  Shortly after the sun started to come through also and that's when Brian almost screamed at the sight of a rainbow.  We had to pull over.  Brian showed Hailee the rainbow and then turned around and saw beautiful sunbeams!  So we took some pictures and we got on the way.  We loved the rainbow and sunbeams because to us it was a sign of God's promise to Noah and it seemed like God was showing us he is remembering our promises and showing us he is going to be faithful to bring them to fruition.  








We left Salt Lake and it was getting dark.  So sadly on the way to Wendover we didn't get to see too much.  We even kinda missed Salt Lake.  I mean we knew we were passing it but it was too dark to really see or take any pictures.  :(   Sorry.  We passed through the Salt Flats on the way to the place where we are staying.  Which will remain a secret until the next post!!!!!
*Evil sounding laugh inserted here*


Fun aside for the day:
So I feel like I've been chasing the sun the last few days.  Driving west all this way and the days seemingly get longer and longer.  I told Brian it was as if I drove fast enough that the sun would never set and we could just keep driving with the sun all day.  Then I looked over because he was quiet.  That's when I noticed the nerdy look on his face.  (A face I have come to know and love through the years…)  I said, "Alright give me the data, how fast would we have to be going…"
Without hesitation he said, "Well I mean the earth rotates once every 24 hours.  That's how we get one day, so we would have to travel 1/24 the circumference of the earth every hour.  Since the earth is about 25,000 miles in circumference, we would have to be going over 1,000 miles per hour."
That is my awesomely smart husband.  He really is so quick on the draw.  I might have gotten there eventually- but it was as if he had already had the answer before I finished my thought about "chasing the sun."  Super smart dude.  


Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow for our last day of our trip and our ARRIVAL in Redding, CA!!! To say I'm excited would be an understatement.  Get me OUTTA this VAN.  Haha.  







4 comments:

  1. Amazing post once again. I loved all the pictures--especially the rainbow and God's sunbeams. What a neat confirmation of your journey. And, I am chuckling just picturing Brian calculating the speed to chase the sun. I have no need to clutter my mind with such things, but am thankful that guys like Brian do. Even funnier is that you know him well enough to know that was what he was thinking. Love you... keep 'em coming. -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingness. We miss you so much but are so proud of youse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe the gorgeous weather you had! So beautiful. I'm so glad the babies could see it.

    And the 'nerd face' LOL - I would say to John that the calculator was winding up. Brian comes by it honestly, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. Your Dad mentioned it to me yesterday. We will pray for y'all often as your journey unfolds. Yall give me hope in the next generation. God is and will continue to bless your obedience.

    Craig (Rob's friend)

    ReplyDelete