Monday, August 27, 2012

Cali Trip: Day 2


Greetings everyone!

This morning we woke up at  Brian's dad, John, and his wife Cathy's house.  Brian stated it was "the best sleep he had gotten" in a long time.  I (Robin) also slept really well. Thanks Pops and CeeCee! (That's what we and the kids call them).  Brian and I packed up the car with the things we had gotten out for the night while the kids played inside with Pops and CeeCee.  We had a quick breakfast and got on the road at 8:30est. 


Hailee sitting with Pops.



Hailee, Pops (John) , Brian and CeeCee (Cathy) just before we pulled away. 



I took the first leg of the trip and enjoyed driving.  I am actually from Illinois and we moved to Georgia when I was young, so I have made this trip many times. There is a place when you get to Chattanooga that I always remember was my favorite part of the entire trip.  You drive around this big curve around a large lake and there are mountains in the background.  I have always thought it was breathtaking. As we were driving around my favorite part, Brian took some pictures so we could share the view with everyone.  




Then we stopped for gas and were going to stop for lunch in Monteagle, TN, but everything in the restaurant was still on breakfast!  I was confused but then realized we had passed the time change so it was still 10:15 where we were.  We drove for a bit then stopped a little further up the road at Manchester, TN.  It worked out wonderfully because of a little open field that was open next to Arby's where we got our food.  We took our food outside with some beautiful weather and fresh air.   The kids had fun running back and forth between two trees.  We chased after them a little bit. 

After that Brian took over driving as we did our next long part of the day.  We drove up into Illinois and I took Brian and the kids through the area where I am from.  My parents went to college after my sister and I were born at Southern Illinois University- Carbondale.  We lived in some student housing.  So we drove through town and I showed Brian the college area and our old house.  




Here are some pictures of us on the road!





We then drove onto Sparta, Il.  This is where I was born!  It is a small town of 5000 and one of those you are able to give the tour in 5 minutes.  It was very important and so special to me that Brian was able to see where I came from, grew up and was raised.  

We arrived at Sparta and had been invited to stop in by some close friends of the family, the Peck's.  They made us a delicious homemade dinner of fresh fish out of their pond and frog legs! Yes frog legs!!! 

Here is a picture of the frog legs on the left, fish on the top, potatoes in the middle and corn on the bottom right.  Sorry I had already eaten a good bit of it.  I forgot to take a picture and was stuffing my face because it was so delicious!!! :) 


We switched drivers, Brian taking over here:
They took us out to see their horses and Hailee rode for a few minutes. She was trembling in my arms when we first walked up to the horse but by the end of the ride she was hanging on all by herself with a big smile. Nathaniel even ended up riding for a few steps. We said our goodbyes and Paul prayed for us before we left.

Hailee on the horse!  She was so excited.  


I wasn't going to let Nathaniel ride because he was so small and I didn't think he wanted to.  However, he kept yelling "horse, horse!" so Paul held him as he rode.



Both of them together.  Clearly the good choice was to let him ride.  He was so thrilled and while I think he might be too young to remember this later- these picture will always be a reminder of how excited he was. It made my heart happy.


Hailee, Rhonda, Nathaniel and Paul.  They took to them so quickly and loved hanging out with them. 

One with Robin!


We then headed over to see Robin's uncle David (Robs brother) and Pam. We visited for a short while as they got to see the kids. We had a great time talking and catching up with them.

The kids (who couldn't stop watching the dogs) with Uncle David and Robin.  Doesn't he look like Rob?!  


After we left, the rain started to pick up and we got really slowed down. Also, we tried to stop at a Starbucks in St louis but it took us forever because the first one google maps took us to is actually in the middle of a (closed) mall. Then, we took a wrong turn trying to navigate around St Louis and get back onto I-64. so, with all the delays we decided we were not going to be able to make it to Columbia, MO, so we stopped in Warrenton.  

We stayed at a Baymont Inn and this is where we ended our second day.  



No comments:

Post a Comment